Sunday, December 1, 2013

Rebecca's 2-Week Practicum Experience

Hi this is Rebecca Lindblade, the Bryan Gallery graduate assistant, from November 11-22 I was at Saint James High School in Horry County observing/teaching under my cooperating teacher, Beth Mitchell. I'm going to write a few blog posts coming up shortly to share my experience with you. I had never taught, let alone observed, a high school art classroom before and it was definitely a one-of-a-kind experience. I learned so much from Mrs. Mitchell and her students. I'll start with my first few days observing the classroom. The Art 1 students were finishing up their final still-life within Mrs. Mitchell's Value unit. High school students are interesting to watch. Some students were interested in the project and others were too busy changing the song they were listening to or catching up on the "gossip" that happened over the weekend or even that morning. Mrs. Mitchell was always on top of helping them work out a problem or instructing them to get back on task. As the days went on, the students started to feel more comfortable with me and I was able to help them in their projects. By Wednesday, Mrs. Mitchell had switched the lesson over to drawing facial features for their upcoming monochromatic self-portrait. Not only did Mrs. Mitchell demonstrate the features of the eyes, nose, and mouth, but also had several helpful YouTube videos that helped. If any other educators are looking for other ways to teach your students how to draw facial features here's a link to some helpful videos: Proko How Tos.


At the end of Week One, I was starting to feel comfortable talking in front the students. This was a huge step in order for me to go from observer to teacher. Check out the next few blog posts for my lessons and student examples during Week Two of my practicum.

No comments:

Post a Comment